West Goshen meets the needs of all students by identifying the strengths and weaknesses as early as possible. District-wide programs such as Elkhart County Special Education Cooperative (ECSEC), High Ability Program, and English Language Learner (ELL) mean that West Goshen students learn the skills and tools that will best help them succeed.
At West Goshen Elementary School, we will develop students who have the thinking skills, character traits, and global awareness necessary to work together in a diverse world.
Lori Line is the principal. She welcomes all the new and returning students to West Goshen Elementary.
Parents, students and educators follow a common set of guidelines to make the school year run smoothly. Elementary schools in the Goshen Community Schools district share a standard school handbook. Policy items and contents range from student progress and conferences to the lost and found. The handbook also covers procedural information such as dropping off and picking up students.
Facts & Figures
School Improvement Plan
Every school, as part of the federal No Child Left Behind Act and Indiana’s Public Law 221, must have a school improvement plan. Each school has an improvement team comprised of staff, parents and community members. These teams developed their initial building plan in 2001-02 and revise the plan as needed each year.
The staff at West Goshen encourages parent, family and community involvement in the education and learning process of their students. To enhance and accomplish the mission of West Goshen, the following programs, frameworks and activities are available:
Recognizing Effort and Achievement
- Perfect Attendance Awards – Perfect student attendance is recognized and celebrated each grading period. Perfect attendance is also recognized for the whole year. This way West Goshen sets the tone that being here truly is valued. Learning cannot occur if a student is not in attendance.
- Fifth Grade Graduation – This ritual marks the end of one time period in a student’s life and the beginning of another. Students know that they continue to be part of the West Goshen Community, and we continue to offer them help and support.
Partnering for Success
- Newsletters – The principal sends home a newsletter each month to parents, while various teachers send home newsletters on a weekly basis. The newsletter from the principal is available in both English and Spanish.
- Computer Lab – Available to every classroom every day, the computer lab gives students experience with technology. Our technology resource coordinator is an excellent resource for issues and needs.
- Media Center – Our media center is supported by an excellent librarian.
Life Skills Education
- Conflict Resolution Skills/Peer Mediation – All students – kindergartners through fifth graders – learn communication skills that lead to conflict resolution.
- Crisis Team – If a death, serious injury, or other trauma creates a crisis for us as a school, our Crisis Team coordinates the necessary, predetermined steps to meet the needs of students and adults.
- English as a New Language (ENL) – We have three teachers and one parent/school liaison to work with students and families who are learning English as a new language.
- Mini-Economy – Some classrooms are set up as mini-economies that continue throughout the year. Real life experiences are developed and simulated in these classrooms.
Health and Environmental Education
- Health Visits – First grade children receive a checkup from an optometrist, and third grade children receive a checkup from a dental hygienist.
- Outdoor Education – Fifth graders spend two days, and overnight, at Camp Amigo learning about our environment, understanding how to take care of it, and studying nature.
- Child Study Team – This team is set up to help give guidance and ideas to parents on how to work with individual children academically, socially, etc.
Other Opportunities Include:
- Breakfast and Lunch Programs
- Live, weekly LIFESKILL Lessons on the monitor
- Live morning broadcast of the the news by 5th graders – presented daily
- Monday folders
- Chess Club
- PACT Mentors